20 Web Designs with Subtle Grain Texture Backgrounds

While minimal flat style designs are the current hot trend, some designers are eliminating solid blocks of colour from their designs with the use of subtle textures. The use of grainy textures really helps give a design a tactile appearance and fits perfectly with designs using an old school or retro style. This post showcases 20 websites which are perfect examples of grain texture use. These sites don’t take texturing to the extreme, but the grainy backgrounds really help add subtle details to the design.

Orchard Keepers

Fancred

Chichester Design

Chichester Design

Great American Whiskey Fair

Great American Whiskey Fair

1. john myers says:

This is one of the most useful articles, I really appreciate having the examples of ways to achieve the effect discussed in the article.

Thank you! I believe this is a very valuable contribution to the web design community!

2. Ceba says:

Few really eye catching designs, thanks for inspiring, really inspiring one.

3. Martha Kent says:

Thanks for sharing this list. I was in a bit of uncertain territory regarding my website’s background. I want it as clean as possible, but the simple white background just don’t work as it should. Maybe I will try a texture background from this list. Everlovin’ Press for example looks astonishing…

4. satya says:

I can understand the concepts clearly with your defined examples..thanks alot

5. Paul says:

Chris! thanks for the inspirational post. I am big fan of yours :)

6. Justin says:

We put a subtle grain effect in our logo we’re pretty proud of, including a subtle grid pattern in the rest of the background. It’s the little things.

7. David says:

Mine is really simple. I try not to clutter the whole page and let the reader choose what he/she wants. Seems to work out but marketing has been the most difficult for me.

8. mixidot says:

Thanks Chris! Lovely collection as always :0) Great to learn about new (to me) creative designers and services too :0)

9. Tom Durkin says:

I lost a lot of faith in using textures when the whole flat thing started, but this shows that both can work together as well.

I enjoyed Hum Creative!

10. prashant says:

Thia is an realy greate and helpful article for me,great work chris..

11. Weird. I just opened Slacktivist and didn’t get any rude adds. I even linked around in the site without adds. I do have an ad blocker installed, tho…

12. Great list, Chris! That slight grainy texture does add a bit of character to an otherwise simple design.

13. Jerry says:

Beautiful List:) Thanks For Sharing this List Chris

14. Sweetmag says:

great set of site! thanks :D

15. ranji says:

Thanks for given valuable information for for web Design

16. anupriya26 says:

Awesome and colorful web designs with amazing backgrounds!!

17. sng7eleven says:

This is a very good article to study.If anybody intersted to update with the knowledge in this concept can choose a best institute in chennai … The best institute in chennai 7eleven technologies.. They provide with a good training with real time exposure.. They are also doing with a assured placement..