20 Web Designs with Stunning Video Backgrounds

The video background trend in web design is definitely still hot. I first featured roundups of website designs using full screen video background and video headers back in Spring, but I’ve stumbled across loads more designs making us of this new capability. This post rounds up 20 more fresh examples of websites that have adopted a stunning video background to introduce the site with motion pictures.

Pack

Warning: Auto-playing intro with audio

Fernando Maclen

Fernando Maclen

Poolhouse

Poolhouse

1. janeen says:

Yikes, what a nightmare. Hopefully these awful video backgrounds on websites will DIE anytime soon. What were they thinking of, when they started this new trend.
    Probably… thizzz izzz soooo KEWL… (uuuhh… NOT) and almost wetting themselves in ecstacy.
    Kinda of a new version of websites – back in the day -, being overloaded with gif-animations. Or the now luckily extinct animated Flash sites.
    Keep sites clean and focus on the content, and just DROP all the nasty frills.

• Geez, someones a little bitter? Completely disagree. How could you compare that to Flash sites?

It’s actually visually engaging. It may not work on many sites, but still serve their purpose. You can’t have tons of content without some kind of visual stimuli (at least in this day and age.)

I’m with you on dropping all the unnecessary gimmicks, however these can work.

2. David says:

I like the movies, but, first there is one thing to do: install Google Analytics (or other analytics tracking sites) and watch three things:

1. Bounce rates – meaning that a visitor leaves your website after first arriving without visiting any other pages at all. Bounce rates from SEO/SEM range in 90% PLUS. 95% or more is not unusual.
    2. Time on Site – unfortunately these times from new visitors generated by SEO or SEM are less than 30 seconds.
    3. Combination of these two things tells you how difficult it is to retain new visitors AT ALL!!!.
    So, the videos are great. I love them, but, once seen they are ignored by returning visitors, and new visitors may or may not bounce away or stay for under 30 seconds.
    Staying under 30 seconds means that whatever message you intended DID NOT penetrate.
    Oh, what a fuss!!!

3. David says:

Chris -
    I’d love your telling us about how you implemented the background videos.
    David

4. Barjinder says:

I personally think video backgrounds look cool. Ofcourse, you can’t use them everywhere. But, if you look at the examples, many of these sites are for creative agencies or other websites which are not regularly visited by normal users. So, I think it does makes sense to use video here and make it more visually engaging.

In the end, I guess it all depends on what website you are creating. You can’t just say video backgrounds are right or wrong for all websites.

5. Ceba says:

Amazing design, really impressive, especially pack

6. designer says:

I’m loving the banking one, truly impressive

7. Mat5hias says:

Nice list. Also this one is awesome and should go to the list: http://www.scoomadesign.com

8. Jake says:

Chris, nice list!! I never considered using a video this way. Most of our clients want a simple corporate style. I’m going to try and work this into one of our new projects!

Jak

9. I am really liking the idea of a video as a background, seems like a lot simpler than using flash and a lot faster to deploy when doing website Design.

10. Sweetmag says:

are there any guidelines to how long the video should be or what size? won’t it increase the load of the site tremendously?

11. Rodney says:

I think the use of videos on web design began to sprout again after the development of HTML5. It was much easier to embed and displays vids as you want them too!

12. Everyone loves creative web design. And I guess embedding creative videos makes site more attractive and may be creative too.
    But its really very scary when you see your site broken on different browsers or its older versions as not all browsers might support the plugin you use to embed video in your site.

13. approachnet says:

i like it actually. It definately depends on the type of site and if done right, it looks great. I haven’t come across a project where a video background works, but hopefully I’ll have one soon.

14. Nice list. The idea of video backround is interesting but i’m not sure that many webdesigner will adopt this solution because of the storage/speed page’s problem.

15. Ryan tonner says:

I personally feel that video background looks nice but you can’t use them in every website. It really depends on client’s project requirement. And of course there are speed and storage issues associated with them.

16. SEO Tools says:

Nice Solution for me, thanks for sharing. Great Tutorial.

17. Sydney North says:

A lot of clients are really concerned about the amount of time the page takes to load, so this could cause a problem. Of course there is a place for every type of design but at the end of the day it is what the customer wants.

18. Ayan says:

Very nice backgroung and your idea of video backround is interesting, I like very much! creare site craiova