20 Great Examples of the Flat Trend in Web Design

I only recently heard about the term “Flat design”, but I’ve definitely noticed lots of website and interface designs springing up with this design style. Flat design is a label the community has adopted for designs leaving behind drop shadows, subtle textures and gradients in favour of solid colours, clean layouts and sharp typography, somewhat similar to the design of Windows 8 and the Metro UI. This post showcases 20 great website designs that all exhibit popular traits of the flat design trend.

LayerVault

MetroTwit

Windows Phone

Etch

Larkef

United Pixelworkers

1. stuart says:

love the flat trend, i love it so much I was using it last year on my own site :)

2. nice collection Chris!

3. Definitely a design trend im moving towards myself, so much cleaner and powerful. Nice collection of examples!

4. I do really like this look. So simple and easy to navigate. Thanks to Windows 8 for really bringing this to the forefront.

As always, great read Mr. Spooner.

5. Gabriella says:

Great! I've been told that my designs are "too flat"… I always thought they are just clean & minimalist but now I can example with this article and tell them it's a trend.

6. Sean Smyth says:

One of the best examples I've seen of this is https://lowdi.com/

Lovely site. They sell bluetooth speakers.

7. Harji singh says:

All these website are starting to look like this because of twitter's bootstrap, and it's ease of use. If you don't already know what bootstrap is, look it up.

8. Andrew Harris says:

Looking forward to this becoming mainstream where your average Joe client wants something workable with no frills (flying logo intro be gone!!!)

9. Jo Sturgess says:

I've always been a fan of keeping things clean and simple so I'm really loving this look. Nice collection :)

10. Dave says:

This trend in website design has always stood out for me. I just hope that we'd get to see more of it in the coming years!

11. Tom Bradshaw says:

I think this appeals to the designer's eye. But when it comes to most clients (or a boss) its all about impact and detail – which means gradients and texture! Cool showcase though!

12. Or you could call this trend "Surface Trend", because thats what flat trends remind me of, especially with tiles!

13. I tihnk its safe to say that Microsoft has done a lot to inspire this through its Metro interface, but at the same time it reinforces that simple design can be the most beautiful.

14. Ramy says:

I’m really loving this look

15. To us flat design embraces getting back to basics. This is also reflected in the choice of colours with many designers choosing to use a smaller number of contrasting colours.

16. Jos says:

Really impressed by this type of design.

Nice collection of sites.

17. Anita says:

Really nice trend, bright, rustic sometimes. Love it.