20 Web Designs Featuring Black & White Photography

We’ve seen full screen images becoming more and more popular in web design, but one trend that really stood out to me is the use of black and white photography in some designs. Black and white images have always conveyed more emotion than a full colour photo, and that continues when it’s implemented into the header or background of a website design. This post rounds up a showcase of 20 websites all featuring monochromatic photography as part of their layout and design.

Zofia Chylak

Kyle Thacker

The Brooklyn Soap Company

Minerva Streetwear

Omina Romana

Julien van der Kluft

1. Karu says:

Very creative and clear photo collection

2. Ree says:

Personally, I find that black and white can be much more effective when trying to evoke emotion. Some beautiful examples here – thanks.

3. IT Support says:

I loved the black and white photography and even backgrounds and videos. Here you have creatively used it in themes. Appreciate your work.

4. I must really cool web design examples. I also like black & white design with glossy finish which reflects your emotions. Really nice website design themes.

5. This is too attractive designing really good combination with some soft coloring stuffs according to the back and white design.

6. Lance says:

Really nice list of sites! Thanks for sharing.

7. Ahmed Ali says:

LOVE it Chris! Thank you for the great share. These are designed so brilliantly that even without colors, they look amazing :)

8. I love the black and white pictures on websites,It always seems to give a look of elegence and is not over powering like many of the site you see,they seem more calming.

9. Marlen says:

Great compilation, Chris! Most of these are stunning. Your posts always inspire me!

10. Lenny says:

Chris, Yours is a great blog for a budding web designer like myself to learn from. Seasoned veterans too for that matter. I wanted to let you know I appreciate you taking the time to put post like this one together because B&W was not a route I would go normally, but seeing these examples I know now it’s a clean, attractive alternative.