Add to Flipboard Magazine.
There are many ways you can use icons on a website. If you want to learn how to use icons in web design, you should check out the website examples we selected, in the list below.
- Use icons in vector illustrations. | You can use icons as part of a more complex vector illustration. The result can be quite impressive, if designed right.
2. Use large icons for categories. | You can use icons to visually describe a specific category on a website. Theis way it will be much more effective than just using texts.
3. Use complex icons. | Icons don’t have to be simple. You can create more complex icons, with more details, for a visual representation of a certain part of your website. See the example below.
4. Make them small, but unique. | Icons can be successfully part of a heading and they will help you better deliver your content.
5. Use icons as separators. | Here is an example of how icons can be used to create a beautiful and very detailed website section separator.
6. Use subtle icons. | Icons don’t always have to be bold and colorful. You can opt for a more subtle look and choose some light grey icons. See the example below.
7. Use unique/unusual icons. | This website combines music with animations and tops it all with some unique icons which also serve as navigation!
8. Use decorative icons. | Icons don’t always have to be functional. You can use them as decorations in separators or embellishments of your design.
9. Use icons to create a pattern. | If you use multiple icons and arrange them in a certain way, you can also create a beautiful pattern. See this example.
10. Use generic symbol icons. | If you want to transmit an information in a quick and effective manner, use some symbol icons everyone knows!
11. Use icons in logos. | Icons can also be a part of a logo. See this creative example below.
12. Use outline icons. | Outline icons are perfect for minimalist, clean websites. In the example below, they were used for the categories of the website, for a quick and more visual representation.
13. Use icons in animations. | This website has some very cute animations, all created using small, custom-made icons / illustrations.
14. Use them in the header. | This is a great example of how you can use icons in the header of your website, to enhance some key info like telephone number, email, and more.
15. Use round-shaped colorful icons for different sections of your site. | See the example below. They are effective and guide the visitor’s attention to what’s important.
16. Use specific icons for your services. | This website uses some colorful outline icons to visually represent each one of their services.
17. Use simple icons for describing steps. | This website uses simple, small icons for a visual representation of their How It Works section.
18. Place icons on a photo background. | Check out the Purgo TeaTox benefits section of this website and see how icons can be placed on a photograph background and look amazing.
19. Use icons to facilitate navigation. | Take a look at the What We Offer section of this homepage and see how icons can be used to facilitate navigation.
20. Use icons in infographics. | This website has a lovely infographic illustration to show their How It Works system. Check it out!