7 Reasons Why You Should Choose Ruby on Rails

Add to Flipboard Magazine.

During the last ten years, Ruby on Rails has grown to become an increasingly popular solution for building web apps. In our rapidly changing technological environment and shaky economy, RoR can speed up the development process and help companies save time and money. Today, the knowledge of Ruby can land you great jobs – there are lots of interesting projects and quite lucrative positions out there that involve this language. And Rails is there to help you make the most of it.

Ruby On Rails

What exactly is Ruby on Rails? It’s basically a web application development tool – a framework written in Ruby programming language that provides a clear structure for your code.

Programmers like Rails because it helps them to abstract and simplify common repetitive tasks everyone has to deal with at one point or another. But that’s just one good reason for why you should learn Rails – here are six others to give you an idea what kind of benefits Rails can bring you.

It’s fast

Some say that launching a website with Rails can take as little as six weeks! Whether it’s true or not, one thing is clear – Rails can significantly speed up the development process. It gives you a cleaner code base (less redundant code) and allows you to reuse its existing components, rather than forcing you to build them all from scratch.

Rails also provides lots of plugins called Ruby Gems, which you can use instead of features that you’d normally have to create first. This, together with its integrated testing tools and scaffolding features, makes Rails both so efficient and approachable.

It’s cost-effective

With increased speed come the lowered costs – in this case, you save up on both time and money. Rails is highly automated and effectively helps to cut out significant sections of the whole project, helping developers to concentrate on specific problems instead of first having to get a firm grasp on the framework itself.

Due to its speed and flexibility, Rails allows companies to immediately benefit from new market trends – speeding up projects that in a regular corporate environment would take ages to organize and implement.

Ruby itself is a great choice

Even if it’s not the easiest programming language around, Ruby is pretty impressive. Not only does it combine some of the best characteristics of dynamic languages, but it also incorporates excellent solutions from static languages.

Thanks to its object-oriented paradigm, Ruby is a perfect language for getting things done – as opposed to writing a lot of code. In short, Ruby is a language that simply fosters productivity.

It’s wonderfully open-source

This is what I find great about Rails – both the framework and the majority of its libraries are open-source. Rails itself runs on Linux, which is open-source too. This means that a project realized on Rails won’t involve any licensing costs – another cost-effective strategy.

Open-source also means that there’s a thriving community behind it and lots of people ready to help you if you’re stuck with something.

It’s very flexible

After launching your Rails-made web app, you’ll be able to modify it easily. Adding new features, applying changes to data models and making other modifications can all be done at a very fast pace – again, saving you both time and money.

It’s productive

Rails is a self-documenting framework, which basically means that it’s easy for other developers to pick up a project and know exactly what has been done to it so far. The code is highly readable – another feature that helps in the process of project re-assignment.

All in all, Rails is a great solution that has a bright future – in the next few years, we will see it helping developers in launching web apps within a short time frame and limited budget. Take the cue from web giants like GitHub, Slideshare or Goodreads, and embrace the wonders of Ruby on Rails right now.

• 187
100 HD Blurred Backgrounds

Join the mailing list to have new content delivered straight to your email inbox. Every subscriber gets a free pack of 100 HD Blurred Backgrounds + bonus 10 realistic web shadows.

100 HD Blurred Backgrounds

Written by Monique Rivers

Monique Rivers is an Australian tech blogger who also loves good food and fashion. She works at ninefold.com. Ninefold is a powerful Ruby on Rails platform, that allows you to deploy Rails apps quickly and easily.

1. First time I am hearing about Ruby. When it came to open source programming language, PHP took the cake, lots of websites, popular CMS platforms and ecommerce platforms are built using this popular language.

I am curious to know, can I write a website faster in Ruby than PHP? You said it can take 6 weeks to write a website in Ruby, that scared me a bit.

• Victor if you are a PHP person like us then still to the framework … starting a new world in Ruby on Rails takes time … can you really afford to learn another language at this fast moving environment?

• Myra Kirbi says:

I agree with Sharjah Web Design, there is so much in PHP that if you are well grounded in the basic and advanced concepts, you must go about learning various platforms in PHP like CMS, project management, ecommerce and host of others rather than learning Ruby from the scratch.

2. Haha, yeah, “6 weeks” is not exactly an enticing benefit. Of course it depends what you are measuring… most companies take a lot longer to get out any new website version, but this is more about the people and the content than any software constraint.

3. Ruby is to Rails as PHP is to Symfony and Zend, or as Python is to Django. The programmer does not have to spend a lot of time configuring files in order to get setup and as well as Rails comes with a set of conventions which help speed up development.

4. great post
    Monique Rivers

5. Teelah says:

I have heard of this before, no one over here actually uses it though. Thanks for the great info, good reasoning’s. Maybe we will switch over! Thanks!

6. Evan Hoggins says:

I would like to know, if rails has been used to create big web applications before or it is still at a nascent stage? Does rail runs on windows also?

• Colin S says:

Hi Eva,
      I have been learning Ruby and some Rails for the past 3 months at Makers Academy, London. Rails is a very established and broadly applied framework. From what I can tell, it’s much more established and has proven itself to work in a serious, scalable production environment compared to say Express.js (Node.js).
      I choose Sinatra (A unopinionated, lightweight Ruby Framework) over Rails in most cases.

In her post Monique mentions GitHub, Slideshare or Goodreads. I know of tons of big companies and projects relying on the power of Rails, like The Verge (http://www.theverge.com/) or Twitter (https://twitter.com/), Air BNB (https://www.airbnb.com/)…

Some would say many of these took Rails and modified it to their needs, so arguably they are not using plain Rails anymore.

I love Ruby, I love Rails, I love JavaScript and I love Node.js. Each language and Framework has it’s purpose, It’s good to know what it’s creators had in mind, what it got built for.

Choose your technology wisely, but do not overstate this decision, in the end they are just tools ;)

• Colin S says:

Oh, almost forgot:

Yes, Ruby and Rails do run on Windows. My advice: consider switching to a Mac or if you are courageous your favourite Linux Flavour.

• Krister Axel says:

Yes, setting up Rails on Windows is not fun and not recommended. It is possible to do, and certainly some developers are probably happy coding on Windows, but I have yet to meet another coder I respect who does their dev on Windows by choice.

7. john says:

Thanks for this great post.You have an amazing site.

8. Arijit Singh says:

Ruby on rails is very fun to work with. Definetly has a future.

9. Ruby on Rails,I will have a try!!!

10. Paul says:

Just now hearing about Ruby and I will have to check out what all the buzz is about myself. Thank you for mentioning this.

11. Debarpan says:

Thanks for the sharing..I will try.

12. Michelle says:

Thanks for this great article.Awesome…

13. A friend of mine was also referring Ruby, after reading your blog I am more determined to try it.. Wish me best of luck :P

14. wimaxcharge says:

wow very nice…

15. Website design and development company bhopal says:

Hi,
    Hope you are doing good,
    Thanks for sharing such a great and informative article, i will try this………..

16. Website says:

Really great points have been put forward – it’s a little funny that I just recently took the initiative to start with ROR the other day…and I still have a long way to go before I can incorporate it into web application development.

Devin

17. راهنما says:

nice work thank you for sharing

18. طراحی سایت says:

ruby is good programming language

19. I’ve been interested in learning Rails, but am not sure of the practical application. Can anyone share any live examples of websites built using Ruby on Rails?

• Triad, some sites that were made with Rails are:
      1) Twitter
      2) Shopify
      3) Groupon
      4) Bloomberg
      5) Indiegogo
      …etc

Next to Python, Rails seems like a great choice to build high-power apps and platforms.

20. I’ve been debating on whether or not to get into Rails for a while – if you go to any big city, it’s definitely the standard along with different forms of JavaScript, and recently the libraries / gems have been cleaned up so implementing has become easier.

Twitter was built on Rails – definitely seems like it’s worth it…

21. Wow! the Post interesting for me. We are a web design india company. We definitely use this next time. Meanwhile do you have a blog entry for upcoming trend in web design in 2015?

CoreGenieTechnologies

22. Craig says:

Trying Python after PHP was a big learning curve but definitely worth it. I will have to give Ruby a try sometime.

23. There are many aspects of this article on which I concur with you. You have generated synapses in my brain not used often. Thank you for getting my neurons jumping.

24. List leaks says:

Twitter is another example, Ruby on rails is awesome

25. Thanks for the great post of sharing!

26. ux31a akku says:

Wow, great post,i can try!

27. Solid points. I still remember being flat out amazed the first time I started toying around with Ruby.

28. 21coders says:

I totally agree with the writer, ruby on rails is actually very cost effective.

29. Roxi Miller says:

I have not heard of this before, I just loved this ! Thanks for sharing such a valuable post here.
    I want to have a try !

30. Eric says:

Ruby on Rails is also well known for its coding convention, Agile practices and security strength.

31. Revanth says:

Just now I hearing about Ruby on Rails. Thanks for the great info Monique Rivers. I wil try…

32. CB says:

Thanks for the great information here. I’ll be trying Ruby on Rails soon.

Leave a response