50 Inspiring Examples of Minimalism in Web Design

The sophisticated image of minimalism has always been a popular style of design. In webdesign a minimalist site is stripped naked of eye candy and fancy colours or effects, leaving the underlying structure exposed. The key to a beautiful minimalist site is a solid and structured layout, as well as focus on stylish and well designed typography. These 50 examples showcase some of the best minimal site designs out there on the web.

Chama

Hell Yeah Dude

We Love Typography

PixelUmbrella

Gordymac

1. Great roundup Chris! Personally I love the unique style of Jason Santa Maria

2. Milan says:

Aza Raskin’s site would be good on this list: http://www.azarask.in/blog/

3. Not sure if my design still counts as minimalist, but you can check it and see. :)

4. Daniel H says:

Thanks for posting siteInspire… in fact we have an entire section dedicated to minimal web design:

5. Dustin says:

I love minimal design, all of these are great examples. I really like the typography in some as well. Nice choices :D.

6. abdusfauzi says:

minimal design FTW! hehe. mine also based minimal design, kind of. hehe.

7. R.Bhavesh says:

love it. I see how some of the 3-4 year old web designs still rule.

I tried the minimal concept in my new redesign this time.

8. Gabriel says:

i like it, thanks!

9. ahkai says:

Love it !!!… btw here is another one good for the list http://www.sabrinagoh.com sweet~

10. ignacio says:

cool stuff !

11. Daus says:

Most probably, you haven’t seen my current blog design :)

12. Grant says:

Wow, thanks for the mention. I’m honored.

13. Ilana says:

Great list – I really like the clean, minimalist approach. Less is definitely more these days.

14. Lovely collection – i’m thinking simplistic web designs when I redesign all my websites when I have the money & time. What about Greig Andersons portfolio? http://www.effektivedesign.co.uk/

15. Ethan says:

I think that http://www.posterous.com should be added to the list. Very clean. Also, I love that Helvetica is used in so many of those listed above.

16. This is a great list mate thanks I will defo check out some of these sites, I love minimilistic :)

17. Alis says:

Minimalism has something which always fascinated me, it is simple but it contains everything necessary! I would like to be able to do such thing!

18. Jeremy says:

I’m a sucker for inspiration in minimalism. A few excellent staples and a few that are brand new to me. Nice work putting this together.

19. kyle steed says:

Thanks so much Chris for including my site here. But I wish you could have snapped a screenshot of my updated site.

20. Hi Chris!
    Thanks for featuring our website among such talented designers.

Cheers!!

21. Debiprasad says:

Really, nice inspiration! Thanks :)

22. wirtsi says:

Also this one would fit nicely

23. carlos says:

maybe http:///www.dabutag.de would be fit nicely too

24. om ipit says:

this is a great list…
    want to bookmark this post for my collection
    i love the simple website :-)

25. I could spend hours looking at all those sites but if I had to pick one as a fav its squareface

26. Brant says:

Excellent, nice inspiration! Thanks

27. Might I also suggest my site in the minimal category?

28. Abounding says:

Many of these sites are from designers. Few good designers miss the point of subtly and elegance. The trick is getting clients, especially businesses, to catch that vision. They often want to add so much content, they miss that saying less is often saying more.

Great list.

29. Rahul says:

Rightly said, “There is great beauty in simplicity.”

30. nice, inspiring roundup

31. Ezrad Lionel says:

I can’t wait to see 1000 something something something. I just love bookmarking lists, they’re so listy

32. CSS Websites says:

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing.

33. wie bali says:

did u have theme for villa management..?

34. madaerodog says:

with your permission I would like to add http://harkopen.com – Open source hardware community to this awesome list

35. z.Yleo77 says:

very unbelievable。。。 I like most of them。。 collection。。。 THX

36. Stunning collection! Well done!

It’s a fav! ;)

37. Dgtlx.com says:

Great list of minimalistic templates! I wrote a blog post about your list of web sites. And I also chose a minimalistic theme to my blog. People interested in minimalism in web design will find a link to a whole galley containing only minimalistic web design. Please make a visit at my blog for further reading.

38. Duke says:

Sometimes Minimal is just boring, not accessible, trying-too-hard-to-be-cool,too white and just really overrated. A good mix of web 2.0 and minimal is the way to go, but a full on web2 or minmal site is just a no go.

39. paul says:

the kyle steed website just uses the thematic framework theme, what’s so great about that?

40. Chris says:

WOW !!!!
    Excellent, nice inspiration! Thanks

41. Thanks so much for the inclusion of Pixelhaven on this list. Amongst very good company.

42. Poppy says:

Great showcase. I think sometimes less really does say more!

43. Smith says:

Great collection of designs.
    Thank you for sharing your Valuable information.
    As I am also working for web design this information will help me increase my knowledge.

44. kikaha says:

Sad, that my site not get in list :)

45. caitlin says:

I love minimalist designs! Skinny Ships is really cool–mainly black and white with just a nice pop of bright color. Thanks!

46. Alisa Rogers says:

47. Alisa Rogers says:

A good collection. I would say that just use the one that you need, I think the author not really want you to use everything here, we all know that we have our own style, we use different tools to design those tools we are comfortable using. This is just a variety of tools that maybe one of these are your must-have-tools.

48. Amaziiinnggg ! Tks

49. Dave says:

Awesome, Thx friend!

50. mylens says:

Great collection! tks :-))

51. Amy says:

These are really good examples!

Amy

52. I’m not a big fan, but these are great examples! thanks.

53. Great Designs. Simple but good!

54. Not minimalist in the true sense of the genre, but still ‘less is more’.

55. Can I add http://designmybody.ro/ – Favicon Gallery for the Web Design Community

56. Roger Duck says:

Great collection of inspiration. Clean and simple is over underrated as it appears “easy” to some clients. If only they knew how much effort and time goes into a “minimalist” web design.

57. Tony says:

Great list… And freelancers should be reading the Netsetter too!

58. Angie Bowen says:

Great collection. I love minimalist design overall but minimalist web design, especially those that focus on great typography, are my favorite.

Thanks so much for including Fuel Your Creativity!

59. Dave says:

Great !!!

60. Sam says:

You see so many butchered attempts at minimalist web design, you forget how great it can look when done right. Thanks for putting this great collection together.

61. beli says:

I think your list is good. I will certainly try the rest of designes.

Webdesign Stuttgart

62. Matt says:

Great compilation, Chris. I’m all about minimalism in design.

63. Jamie says:

very nice. inspiring. it’s all about the white space.

64. Judy says:

Excellent information – thank you. Most people don’t know how important the things that you highlighted are. Thanks for helping spread the good word!
    Regards,
    Judy.

65. Liz Hover says:

This is a delicious collection Chris. I adore minimalist web design and have endeavoured to use it on my own website.

• Every Website that my company designs. We always believe in keeping 90% of designs simple. Our customers see greater results when their websites are more simple and user friendly.

66. Daus says:

Some of them are not minimalist at all, though :)

67. Matty says:

This collection of sites is great. I especially like the Finch site, just looks so clean and nice. I think sometimes sites with a minimal style can look a little plain but when done right like in the above examples they look most professional. Thank you for sharing.

68. I’m one of those website designers/owners who believes that content is king for SEO purposes, but at the same time love minimalist sites too – here, my favourite are the Sisson Studio and We are Sofa – to cater to both minimalist and a decent amount of text on a site, most of the text necessary on a home page can simply be added further down on the page, below the fold, so that the minimalist look is still what the viewer first sees upon landing on the site.

69. Great collection! Thanks!

70. great job bos.many thank for the collection. j

71. Excelentes diseños de Sitios Web, Felicitaciones

72. info bisnis says:

what a nice collection, may it helpfull for who need.thanks for sharing Bos, pram from Indonesia wish you best always.

73. Ken Morico says:

This is a nice list. In the realm of online newspapers, the new LATimes.com design clearly sets a new precedent for minimalism in the news space. I wrote an article about it here:

74. Juul Coolen says:

Thanks for the mention btw!

75. David says:

Lots of beautiful sites showcased here. Thanks for the inclusion :) I appreciate it.

76. dmitri says:

this is functional minimalism. in these days of adsense spam…just look at the ad placement here. learn it.

77. Los diseños minimalistas estan llenos de limpieza, orden y elegancia, asiendo que los usuarios se centren en los que les interesa eliminando las distracciones. Me encanta este estilo.

Mi blog:

78. Guys, also check out Minimalissimo at http://minimalissimo.com. We blog about minimalist design and try to practice what we preach!

79. Ovi Dogar says:

Hey Chris,

Really nice examples you’ve got here!

Keep up the great work!

Ovi Dogar
    AbsoluteCovers.com

80. Brilliant post. Clean and simple is the way forward when it comes to design.

81. Joe A. says:

I love the selection. Great picks, although I have seen several repeats from similar articles on other websites. Great job, though!
    One more I’d suggest (less well-known), though you should include in future articles on the subject (perhaps weed out the sites every web designer is aware of, like I Love Typography, etc):

A nice use of minimal design peppered with hot pink. Although the subject content is girly (I think she blogs about girly things) it’s quite an attractive design.

82. Ed Norton says:

I especially like the ones with little graphics and thought out text placements and little borders.

83. Great selection and truly inspiring.
    I agree with Joe for I too have seen other articles with similar picks, but nonetheles you have picked some pretty amazing ones.

84. Darrel says:

Thanks for the list. But I just wanted to point out a typo. You have Corporate Rick Watch rather than Corporate Risk Watch.

I was trying to figure out who this guy Rick was and why did we wanted to watch him.
    ;)

85. Radu says:

Another nice website is http://www.andreipotorac.com – very minimalist.

86. Rabocopso says:

Hey Chris,
    Really nice examples you’ve got here!
    Clean and simple is the way forward when it comes to design

87. Mark says:

Cool examples.. Big fan of minimalist design

88. Vardan says:

nice websites..
    thanks

89. Thanks dude for this great and beautiful minimalist websites collection.

90. Misha says:

good Squarespace Blog creative!

91. Great examples. I love minimalism when it comes to design and the examples you have used make an excellent resource. Thank you for sharing.

92. Love this collection. Inspiration for my own work.

Love to make this list someday ;)

93. These are all great designs, kudos for sharing and discussing all of these here in your blog.

94. Slava says:

I love minimalism!!! Its great!