25 Designers Show How iOS7 Should Have Looked

Many of us were a little disappointed in the reveal of the new iOS7 user interface. The garish colour palette, the plain ugly icons and the questionable design decisions have resulted in designers expressing their frustration and sharing their own interpretations of the iOS interface via social websites such as Dribbble and Behance. This post rounds up a collection of 25 iOS7 resdesigns that offer some great ideas and alternatives to Apple’s initial concept.

iOS by Jacob Cummings

iOS 7 Redesign by Pascal Assaleh

iOS 7 Redesign by Pascal Assaleh

iOS 7 Redesign by Fareast Binsteera

iOS 7 Redesign by Fareast Binsteera

1. Meh says:

Jacob Cummings is my favorite, just love the shadows/3d effect

2. Jacob Cummings’, Michael Boswell’s, and Pascal Assaleh’s were great. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

3. Alex says:

Come on!, that’s not Apple’s style!
    Apple was based on Skeuomorphism, apple design died since Steve did.

4. Jason says:

Cool icons. Just jail brake your Iphone and you will discover a new world of authors who make amazing icons.

5. Jesse Beach says:

Redesign? Re-coloring is more accurate.

6. Seby says:

Great Job Alex Martinov, Jeffrey deGoot and Leo Drapeau!

7. Huygir says:

Anyone else notice how all attempts at this flat iOS UI look like a child’s fake phone… The kind with the face just stuck on? That should have been a clue in early design before this became an ugly reality. Now apple is attempting to overcome with TV ads about how excellent their designs are.

8. Huygir says:

P.S. I do like Jacob’s icon style though :-)

9. What Happened Apple? says:

Apple should ditch this modern, flat design and stick to skeuomorphism.

10. Cranky old B says:

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the point of this. Are these high school projects? These are nothing more than a second rate rehash of someone else’s hard work. There’s no innovation here, and this isn’t profound. Here’s an idea, why not try to actually improve the experience? Contribute something new to the conversation, rather than just tinkering with icons. Then one day you might just be up there with Apple and Google.

• Mick says:

Don’t you mean Google and Microsoft? They seem to be the only ones innovating in the area of Mobile UI Design these days.

• Cranky old B says:

I had Apple because this post has 25 wannabes aping their latest style.

But point taken Mick, you are absolutely 100% right. Apple dropped the ball.

11. Ahmed Ali says:

I don’t see any real creativity there. They are all the same. Its like variations of the same icons.

12. Mick says:

I hate to say it but these all look very similar and uninspired.

This is Apple’s problem, this has all been done before. When iOS7 was revealed my first thought was “Oh I’ve seen that already”

Nothing new was brought to the table, and nothing new was brought here either. They all just look like iterations of the same thing.

13. Joe Bloggs says:

Nice collection of color alternatives. Although, I feel that a lot of people still don’t understand that ios7 isn’t the finished product from Apple.

It’s a release for testing to a select few, to try and pinpoint any cracks and areas of improvement. If you’ve got ios7 installed, it’ll be because YOU went after it, Apple probably didn’t place it in your particular hands because as I said, it’s not finished.

I agree, the current icons look half finished, and that’s because the system isn’t *finished*. I feel like I’m repeating myself here.

This is Apple after all guys, they are the don’s of shit-hot design – they wouldn’t sit back and think, ‘yep, happy with that, let’s go public with it’, but they would release for beta testing.

14. marcin says:

The best redesign for iOS7 is presented here:

and I mean it :-)

15. Matt says:

This one from Belgium is also really good : http://youtu.be/a2QRu7uAC3I

16. John says:

Fantastic put up, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector do not understand this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you have a huge readers’ base already!|What’s Happening i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & help other customers like its aided me. Good job.

17. Joyce says:

Some of these look amazing, but none of them give me that “Apple feeling”.

18. Andrew says:

The first (Cummings design) is very cute, with the 3d effect, but I also likes Vaibhav Bhat’s icons (Good job for everyone everyway).
    I think that Apple should give a look to these talent designers for his future products.

19. William says:

wow, its wonderful OS, i like this post

20. whats wrong with the old one? it was the best anyway.

21. Koen says:

Wow, I’m amazed at what some of the designers have done here! Some really impressive work. I especially like the Carlos Gavina one.
    Of course, most of these designs *do* overdo the flat design trend that we see these days, and are not quite timeless. But some of these could certainly serve as inspiration for Apple to revamp their redesign before putting it out there.
    But hey, I think Apple are too self-conscious and proud to even think about doing such a thing. My respect for them would go up a notch if they’d reconsider some of their design choices made for iOS7, though.

22. Burak says:

There are really better designs than the current one.

23. kavin brown says:

great designs here all of above i like jackcooming . that is really good . iloved that graphic design

24. Tom Durkin says:

Really digging Zane David’s work. All very impressive though.

25. Amanda says:

Not sure I love the new ios. Will have to wait and see.

26. daghene says:

Most of these are 95% equal to the actual iOS 7 design which I don’t like, so I don’t like these too.

Some of them are slightly different, enough to be better than the terrible Apple design, so they’re good but i wish there was more personal ideas put into these.

27. I think I like Jacob Cummings approach the best, it looks really slick and well designed as far as I’m concerned. No disrespect to Jonny Ive, well maybe a little, but I think that he is either getting past his prime or losing his touch. He may have been looking at iOS too long.

28. Alicia says:

This article just continues to make me sad about how “Windows Mobile” iOS 7 is!

29. Viktor says:

All these 25 designs of IOS are similar to actual IOS 7. So its difficult to say which one is best. I like Gil, Ross Legacy Redesign. Anyways thanks for the post.