20 Minimal Web Designs That Don’t Rely on Images

We usually see websites these days with bright loud photography spanning the full page, but some minimalists can still create great looking designs without any images at all. Today’s showcase presents over 20 designs that don’t rely on pretty pictures, these sites feature no photographic headers or background images, instead you’ll find clear typography and perfect grid based layouts.

Alexander Collin

Tim Brack

McChillin

McChillin

Arne Meister Contemporary Art

Arne Meister Contemporary Art

1. Chris says:

Hmmm, curiosity got the better of me but I found them boring…. pictures still speak a thousand words to me :-))

2. Can I nominate my website? I wanted it super clean and minimal, flat and lacking distraction.

3. Mighty Bruce says:

pick of the week. Simple , clean and awesome

4. Which kind of industry does this theme website works??

5. Debarpan says:

well can’t argue with you in this regard,you’re absolutely right.

6. Haim says:

I realize the article is specifically profiling “minimal” web designs with no images but that doesn’t explain why so many of them are quite awful. In fact some would benefit greatly from having an image.

It’s noticeable how little variation there is in font usage between all of the websites. I don’t see anything really interesting, innovative or daring. Just comfortable simplicity for the sake of being able to call it “minimal”.

I have to say if I stopped by the sites of Navigating Medicare, Mark Boulton, Eliot Jay Stocks, Openings, Maratz or Robin Rendall I would almost immediately click away and go somewhere else. It’s one thing to contextualize a grouping of examples into a themed argument but on their own they tend not to hold their ground so much and show themselves to be far less successful.

I actually don’t believe the Nicola Potts and CSS Wizardry websites to be minimal at all. They may not contain photographic images but they are far too busy with text and graphic details.

By the way, “images” doesn’t necessarily mean photography. I would consider Minimal Monkey and Promethean IT website’s background to clearly be images – however non-photographical and abstract they might be – and actually very strong examples of image usage for that matter. Should they really be in this list?

7. Mike says:

I like the simple web design approach, but I just can’t reconcile that with the need for search rankings. If you want to attract any business through search, you need to be on page 1 and I don’t see how you can do that with a minimalist design. But they look cool!

8. Brian Oster says:

There is very little on these sites that draw me in to click further, no visual appeal. Only the ones that use color or show real creativity (shapes, creative writing, etc.) would I want to see more of. I agree with the lack of SEO comments, but what about the idea that you have just a few seconds to win over a new visitor to your site?

If you are a graphic designer or a digital agency and I don’t know you from a college student trying to earn extra work, you have to sell yourself from page one.

9. Ceba says:

I amused to watch such beautiful designs with out including images, though images play vital role but sometimes such designs can make differences.

10. Kath Craw says:

I personally don’t like all of the text on these sites. It seems people don’t want to read so much as opposed to having images to guide them. For example, our company uses icons and simple graphics to add to the design and composition of our website. I think excessive text deters people from exploring further on your site.

11. You have a very nice site, and compelling content still hope you liked it pretty content to leave
    عکس های جدید

12. Great designs, thanks for sharing :)

13. tanck you for every thing :)

14. AffWeb says:

Well, not a huge fan like many others. Yaron Schoen’s site is pretty catchy though.

15. Ten & Bourne says:

Many thanks to Chris Spooner for including us on this feature. We find minimal to work to an extent, and can agree with the comments here that sometimes sites like ours can appear to bland, too wordy and lack enough engagement, but it’s important to remember that the page you see might not be the only entrance page to a website when it comes to SEO.

16. It was so good